Monday, January 28, 2008

Two more books for the library

I had intended to find and purchase books five and six of Stephen King's Dark Tower series but I was not able to complete my mission. I did, however, find two gems: Hemingway's Moveable Feast and John Hersey's The Child Buyer. Total expenditure: $2.94. There are times when I feel guilty walking out of The Book Exchange in Durham, sometimes I really do.

You might recall John Hersey's name from my former blog. I am currently reading Hersey's Hiroshima, a work of non-fiction telling the stories of six survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan. Moving stuff. I have so far read about 1/3 of the book. The bomb has dropped, confusion rules the day and all that is known is something big, really big, feel out of the sky. The confusing part for everyone thus far is there was no air raid siren sounded. The reason for this is the people of Japan thought they would get a bombing "from both barrels" like the people of Dresden, Germany had endured. Everyone in the book so far has been under the mistaken impression that a single bomb had been dropped directly onto them rather then a single bomb destroying an entire city. The power and magnitude of an atomic bomb was unknown to the world at large - until it was dropped on the people of Hiroshima.

I'll toss this books on to the pile and I'll get to them when I can. If anyone wants to read Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust I'll be more then happy to trade for The Dark Tower V or The Dark Tower VI (or anything - what 'cha got?).

No comments: