Friday, January 1, 2010

Outer Banks indeed

I'm back on the Outer Banks once again and I'm loving it. I've been here for a few days and I'll be leaving tomorrow most likely. I love it out here. Great place. Greater people. Yes, the winter in Rodanthe is kind of "dead" with the population of year-round residents plummeting to near zero and only a handful of businesses open, one of which is the local gas station. Still there are few places on the globe I'd rather be during my down time.

But it's the new year so let's talk about that. First, goodbye and good riddance to 2009. This year saw the unraveling of my 13 year marriage and forthcoming divorce and I can't be happier that this year is going to be behind me for good. Kelly and I remain close friends and that's the single bright spot in that whole debacle. But it's not something I want to ever go through again. Oh, and there was also a banking meltdown, massive layoffs across multiple industries, the death's of my friend's parents (both in a car accident at the same time).. there was much to hate about 2009 and I do despise that year with a true passion.

2010, I hope, is a better year. It's starting rather well, I have to admit. I'm back at the beach and I brought in the new year with my good friends Jeanette and Pauly, both local residents. Pauly's family has a long fishing history in Wanchese, NC, well all over the Eastern US actually. I was going to stay in a local rental unit, a small but comfortable one, but a problem surfaced on the way down at Kelly's condo so I stayed here to sort things out so she didn't have to come down. That's what I call a win-win for each of us! Kelly's condo is much more comfortable, roomy and it has all the comforts of home. You also can't beat the view. It's fantastic.

I'll get back to work in a couple days and I feel invigorated. I'm ready for the challenge and I'm looking forward to getting back in school once again. I'm also thinking about moving next year. The company offered me a position in Philadelphia and I was very tempted after visiting the historic city but I think I'll stay here, in North Carolina. Friends also offered to rent me a place in Maryland but I don't know if I could make that work, professionally at least. I'll probably stay in or around Durham and I'd like to get a small house where I can once again share my down time with a dog. I miss my dogs terribly and I think they miss me too.

Well that's it for 2009 and the into to 2010. I can't believe this year is here! 2010! Holy cow. Life is flying by me and I've been a numb zombie for nearly the past year. I think it's time to return to the land of the living.

No comments: