Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I need to get back on the air

OK, so I've established the following fact: my apartment building impedes 2 meter radio waves and I have no way to participate in any 2 meter nets from within my apartment. I cannot place an antenna on the roof. And finally, my 5 watt hand-held is not powerful enough to hit the 146.88 repeater from downtown Durham.

What are my options? Go portable 20 watt with a Yaesu FT-897D? That will set me back nearly $1000.00 for the radio alone without an antenna or battery packs.

Are there any other options? Again, placing an antenna on the roof of the building is not an option. I think I'm going to have to get outside the building in order to participate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to run cross-band repeat from a mobile radio in my car.

That is, use a 440 frequency from the apartment to the car, and let the car handle the more powerful 2m transmission.

Alan (a.k.a. KR4JB)

Unknown said...

Can you use a temporary antenna that you can hang out the window for the 5 watt, and then bring it back in when you're done? (I don't know how large your antenna would need to be.)