Saturday, December 20, 2008

New Apples.

Looks like we're going to be blessed with new Mac minis and iMacs at this years Macworld. I'm excited! I've been needing to replace my G4 Mac mini file/print/media server for quite some time and I think not having the ability to upgrade the unit past 10.5.x is going to provide the jolt required to open my tight-fisted wallet that is IF we recieve a bonus this year and IF we have enough bonus money "left over" (the earmarks are long and varied this bonus year).

The new Mac minis are rumored to share the same graphics processor as the Macbook Pros which would be provide a huge boost to performance. Plus being an Intel mini I could easily run other operting systems in parallel using Parallels or VM Ware Fusion.

I really have to think about upgrading my white MacBook first, though. I'd like to replace my MacBook (which I would send to my parents) with a 15" MacBook Pro but I don't think I'd have the "extra" $2500.00 in the bonus pile. Shoot. What a drag.

The company where I work is moving towards a cool concept called "Open Networks" where the users LANs are going to be opened up wild-west style, perhaps (and I really don't think they'll do this for obvious reasons) with IPs directly routable to the Internet. The data centers themselves would be where the data security layer would reside, not the "edge" between the Inernet and B2B networks.

Why? Fairly simple. Most people have high-speed Internet these days as do all compaines we do business with. Instead of requiring a B2B or individual VPN connection to the network simply jump on at the core of the network via the shortest path at the carrier hotels around the globe. From there access the applications you need via VPN that latches itself to the global data center. It sound totally psychotic, I know, but there is a bit of beauty in the chaos that reveals itself when you constantly try to troubleshoot and fix connectivity problems between the company and the B2B partners. This kind of network would greatly simply connectivity.

All that said I'm not sure when such a dramtatic shift would take place. But when it does employees could also drink from the well of hysteria and provide our own hardware to use at work if we so choose. But there's one exception to the rule - the hardware would have to be capable of running the company build supported operating system. Hello VM Ware Fusion. I could crank up my VM Ware Winders build and I would be good to go.

Plus I could have, and do today, have multiple Ethernet connections at my desk. I have a standard LAN connection that everyone else has and I also have an outside line via a DSL router. We use that line for testing external VPNs, simulating B2B connections, that kind of thing. My primary Ethernet connection would use the DSL connection and I'd bound the VM Ware Winders session to the 2nd Ethernet connection to the company LAN.

But wait, you say, how the hell are you going to have to LAN ports on a Macbook Pro? Ah, good question. It has been proven the Macbook Air Ethernet adpapter works quite well with other Intel Macs. So I'd do it that way. I could, but won't, attach an Airport Express to the DLS line. I'm already dipping my toes well into the "DO NOT DO" pool having a machine directly attached to the outside world and the company LAN at the same time but attaching an access point, even when I know what I'm doing and why, would rase the hackles of security and they would have no qualms walking me out the door for that regardless of how secure the connection may be. It's just something you don't do around these parts. Or, rather, it's something you do only once. Damn pesky AirMagnet sensors.

So that's the plan, stan. And it's a great plan, I think. No more unnecessary dual laptops. Gone. Poof. A nice, bright 24" Apple LED display built just for the Macbook line sitting atop my desk. Me easily and seemlessly moving in and out of the company data networks, no more shutting down every application just to test an Internet-facing application or connection. No more lugging around dual laptops on school days. What's not to love?

Will my dream turn into reality? Quite frankly all signs point to "no". Being the first out of the gate with a company-build desktop as a virtual machine on my own laptop isn't going to be easy. But great projects that benefit me never are. That's what makes them fun.

It's time to kick some Wii Tennis butt. Later.

No comments: