Friday, December 5, 2008

The office computer I really want

I have two laptops - one for work and one for personal use. I'd greatly prefer to have just one - an Apple Macbook Pro 15". My office standard OS is Windows XP. I could load XP in a VMware slice on the Macbook and run my office "computer " in a self-contained jail of sorts and do my personal computing via the Mac.

Of course there are tons of red flags here. I would expect the security people would freak out at such a thing and just say no, or worse say "ok, but you have to load XP via Boot Camp" so I could never run the two operating systems simultaneously.

Another roadblock is the corporate lan forbids outside computers, etc, from plugging in. People, consultants and such, do this kind of thing all the time and we're in the process of setting up a guest wireless system so that rule is laregly ignored. Be that as it may I am one of the very few people who have a dedicated direct Internet connection at their desk totally outside of corporate LAN. A few of us that work in the perimeter space have access to a group DSL line for texting external applicatoins and connectivity so, in theory, I could plug my Macbook Pro (that I don't yet own) into the DSL line and launch XP on a second monitor then connect to the office LAN via the VPN.

Yeah, that isn't going to happen. Plus, dare I say, should it ever be necessary for security to confenscate the office computer it would be rather difficult to do so as the office software would reside on my personal computer, and one does not want to give up their Macbook Pro so the desktop folks can "scrub" the office data off for a few days after they walk you out the door.

So, to wrap this up, it's just not going to happen I don't think. Sad. It would be such a sweet setup.

No comments: