Thursday, July 16, 2009

Let's hear it for a PC I do like

My good, old, reliable Linux box running CentOS. It's a Pentium III running at a blazing 731.217 Mhz. Got to love it. Oh, and for those interested: 1462.71 bogomips. Not what you'd call a hot rod but so very functional. It serves as my backup platform for Packeteer devices and is my machine for all things perl/expect which is, to say, a lot. I just started a project to upgrade an insane amount of routers all requiring TFTP transfer and while other team members were scrambling around trying to set up a TFTP server on a Windows server I quietly and easily enabled the TFTP server on my Linux box and was up and running in five easy minutes. The best part? The Linux TFTP server far outclasses the hacked-up, added on, hardly functional Windows TFTP server and it handles more concurrent sessions despite running on hardware several generations older.

So, yes. I love my Linux box. The box was manufactured way back in the day as a Windows machine by Dell. See? I haven't always not liked Dell (I just despise my possessed Latitude D630).

No comments: