Saturday, July 25, 2009

my mac mini is showing it's age

Assuming we get a bonus early next year I think a portion of that is going to go towards a new Mac. My 1.5 Ghz G4 Mac Mini is really showing it's age. It's still a nice machine, don't get me wrong, but the lack of IO is really a limiting factor when doing anything fun (read Final Cut and Photoshop). In addition it does not support 802.11n which is nice to have as the machine is in a room without access to wired Ethernet.

When the time goes to upgrade, and I'm stuck between wants of a 24" iMac and a Mac Pro, I'll probably turn this machine into a Linux machine without any graphical interface and I'll then replace the Pentium III machine at work with the mini. I'd like to sneak it into the data center and plug it directly into the server farm switches but I'm not going to be that bold (or stupid). Or maybe I'll leave OS X on the box and migrate all my perl/expect scripts to OS X (which really isn't much of a 'migration' in the first place).

For some reason I'm still leaning towards Linux though. Perpahs it's time to investigate and see what's out there. Last time I loaded Linux on a PowerPC mac I used Yellow Dog with great success. Perhaps I'll go that route again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My 1.0Ghz eMac is practically useless now. As much as I would LOVE a new iMac, I can afford one. So, I think I'm going to go the PC route and buy a Dell just to erradicate the Windows OS on it and install Ubuntu.

Tanner Lovelace said...

Ubuntu works very well as a PPC Mac distro and is probably much better supported than Yellow Dog these days.