Friday, June 27, 2008

48 hours with my Bushnell Onix 400 GPS/XM Radio



This gizmo is pretty darn cool! I'm not sure how to make the weather overlay work (I just enabled it 10 minutes ago and so far I've got no data). I decided to go with the NavWeather package and not the NavWeather plus XM Radio as I don't expect to be using this device as a radio receiver very often (and devices built for this purpose are better suited in the first place).

I'll tinker with this at the beach and see what I can make it do. I upgraded my MicroSD card from 128 meg to 2 gig at a whopping cost of $9.99. Can you believe that? Ten bucks for two gig? This old-timer remembers when a 1 gig IDE drive from Western Digital went on sale for $1000.00. To that point how many 2 gig MicroSD cars could I fit into a case the size of a IDE drive? At least 100, maybe more. The mind boggles. I also picked up a 4 gig USB flash drive for not much more. Six gigs of solid-state storage for under $30.00 - RETAIL. Unreal.

Back to the GPS. I don't yet see many mounting options for cars, motorcycle and Jet Skis. That's a shame, but I'm sure those kinds of things are forthcoming. More disturbing I haven't yet read any way to update local road maps. There simply must be a way to do that. I simply won't accept the idea that someone built a GPS and made the road maps static. I found that I can overlay satellite terrain and topographical maps on top of the road map and that's pretty cool, I do have to say.

I simply must make this XM weather data to function properly. Back to the drawing board.

No comments: