Friday, June 13, 2008

Roku Chapt 2

My first Roku failed in spectacular fashion a day after it arrived home much to my horror. The Roku people were pretty cool about it. They agreed this device was hardware defective and agreed to ship me another unit, something I was happy to hear. What I wasn't happy to hear was the unit would take another week or so to arrive. I'm, quite frankly, bummed about that. I had filled my "Instant Queue" with the hopes of watching many obscure movies this weekend but it is not to be, at least not right now.

I'm hoping against hope that this was an isolated incident and my next Roku will continue to function without simply blowing up for no reason. The concept of the system is ideal for my needs and I'm still very excited but that excitement will wane quickly sh0uld my next unit fail. When the box arrived I was amazed at the simplicity of the single-board computer inside. You can see through the louvered top fairly easily and what you can see is a LOT of bare computer board. The deign appears simplistic and that I can appreciate. My original plan was the crack the baby open to take pictures of the board itself but now that ain't gonna happen. Oh no, I'm not doing *ANYTHING* to this device that could possibly endanger my warranty, especially not after a failed unit within the first 24 hours of operation.

No comments: