Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Roku = Rocks

Behold



There's my Roku between the Apple TV and the Wii. As you can sii it has a small footprint. I happy with the dimensions as don't like needlessly over-sized devices (say, for instance, that huge DVD player; does it really need to be that large?). I have more pictures in the public gallery, please peruse and enjoy.

Last night I watched 2.5 movies on the Roku. They all worked flawlessly and I found some interesting data watching my WAN interface graph on my router. Tonight I'll watch some more movies and display some graph info tomorrow. Let's review the movies:

Serial Killers: The Real Life Hannibal Lecters


This movie was an interesting documentary, but a bit of a let-down. It hit the major U.S. serial killers we've all heard of, Gacy, Dahlmer and Bundy and also had a nice piece on Andrei Chikatilo, the Russian serial killer and cannibal. On a positive note the freakish Albert Fish was also featured prominently. I wrote a paper about him in my psychology class back in 1992 (my professor called it "disturbing" but didn't mention if that meant Albert or my paper). Missing were the Green River Killer, who I believe was still at large when this documentary was released and Eileen Wuornos, one of the few female serial killers ever documented (but far from the worst).

For a documentary I have to say that I didn't learn very much and that is generally why I watch documentaries. But nevertheless the expert commentaries were made by actual experts and the production values were high.

*** out of ***** if you're into this kind of thing (that "thing" being true crime, just for the record)

Quote of the movie: "If you are what you eat I could be you tomorrow."

Omar and Pete



Omar and Pete was a modern day tragedy/documentary about two life-long convicts who served hard time and try to keep on the straight-and-narrow to remain free men. Pete Duncan has served the majority of his adult life behind bars and makes no excuses about his past behavior. We meet him a paroled free man living in a halfway house. Leon "Omar" Mason, a friend of Pete's on the "inside" for nearly 20 years, joins him in the same halfway house himself a newly paroled man after spending a 10 year stretch behind bars for armed robbery (and this is just his most recent stretch, like Pete, Omar has spent his entire adult life behind bars as well).

This film does a remarkable job documenting how difficult it is for a man who grew up behind bars to remain a free man and the great lengths the states go to help life-long criminals rehabilitate as best they can so they have a shot at staying out of prison. I can't go into too much detail but I will say that one of these men continues on the straight-and-narrow and remains free while the other struggles and ends up behind bars once again, only to be paroled a final time. But has he learned his lesson? Even with these recently missteps will he remain free or head back to the joint for an even longer stretch? Watch and find out.

**** out of *****

Stripped



A documentary about, well, strippers. Jill Morley, a straight-and-narrow kind of girl, wants to investigate the world of strip clubs so she becomes a stripper herself and documents her journey into the world of New York strip clubs. You'd think I would have paid more attention to this movie but it was getting late. I will say that each time I walked back into the room there were various parts of the female anatomy on display that normally aren't. You'd think I would have been more captivated. I'll have to watch this again when I have the time to dedicate to the film. And then I'll probably watch it one more time, you know, for scientific purposes.

? out of *****

No comments: