Thursday, August 28, 2008

Call me crazy..

I used to have a vinyl copy of William Shatner's The Transformed Man back in the day (I now have this work of "art" on CD). Anybody that has ever heard Shatner on The Transformed Man, particularly Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds or Mr. Tambourine Man, has to have asked themselves "what in the HELL is THIS?" What the hell is it indeed. In fact I've always wondered if Shatner was recording himself as a joke or if he was indeed serious. I'm pretty sure he was playing a joke on everyone. I hope.

But then in 2004 Shatner released Has Been. The release of this CD escaped my attention when it was released but I heard a snippet of Shatner's version of the Pulp song Common People. I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you! Shatner's version wasn't only listenable, it was GOOD! It's weird, kind of like Phish's version of Snoop Dog's Gin and Juice, but a very good performance.

Give it a listen if you can.

No comments: