Friday, August 8, 2008

Today is Friday

I just thought I'd state the obvious to get the ball rolling. I was reading an excellent article about the filming of Cormac Mccarthy's Pulitzer Prize willing novel The Road. The director of the film did NOT want to go the CGI route (kudos to him for doing so) and decided to film in and around Pittsburgh to depect post-apocoliptic America. I would have chosen Detroit. USA Today printed a few pictures along with the article, take a look for yourself, they are pretty impressive.

This has left me to wonder how many accolades can be heaped upon a single work of fiction? Could a single book recieve the Pulizter and Nobel Prizes? Could the author also recieve a MacArthur Fellowship? What about a James Beard Award too? Ok, I know what you're saying: "He's gone off the rails! It's impossible for a single book to be this celebrated and the friggin' James Beard award is related to cuisine!!!!!!!"

Ok, I hear ya. But what if the book were edible? Say printed on turkey jerkey with a beef jerky cover? Or perhaps pressed soy for the vegetarians in the crowd. It would be far easier to just write a book directly related to food, that's true, but would that genre of book be a contender for a Pulitzer or Nobel?

It's impossible to say, really. A book printed edible materials would eventually get modly, right? Leather is edible and saved many a lonely cowboy from starvation in the Old West. It's not very nutritious but when you are in that dire of straights all you need is a full belly to feel better and it's always better to eat the saddle than the transportation.

I'm getting off-topic. What was my topic? What the hell am I talking about, anyway?

No comments: