Thursday, August 7, 2008

Kelly is coming home today

It suddenly hit me last night around 8 pm: Kelly is coming home tomorrow (now today) at 3:30 pm and the house looks like a bomb went off. How did I let my humble abode get so far off the rails and in so little time? I jumped into "cleaning" mode, stacking mail, cleaning bathrooms, straitening up piles of mail and so-forth and vacuuming the whole place. I should have mopped the kitchen floor but I was physically beat after getting all that done and then trying to revive all of Kelly's outdoor plants with a drink of water.

I'm sure I missed some things but at least it should be apparent that an effort to revitalize the home was made. Even I don't like the feeling of being gone, overseas in particular, and coming home to a trashed house.

On funny thing happen, though. The dogs are fed dry food, rather they have access to dry food during the day if they get hungry. At night they split a can of wet food (duck and potato). Boo (Dugan) eats his food in the kitchen as fast as he is able while Beep (Ricki) eats later and at her own pace away from the kitchen (oddly only under the dining room table.. I know, it's weird, but if her bowl isn't placed under the dining room table it may as well be on Mars. She just won't eat otherwise).

When the time came to pick tomatoes I picked Ricki's bowl of food up and placed it on the dining room table, just so Boo would not eat it himself. When I came back inside Ricki's bowl was empty. Somehow she got up on the table and at her food. There is NO WAY Boo, at nearly 12 years old with two bad knees, could have managed this. Quite honestly, I wish I could have seen the event for myself.

No comments: