Friday, August 29, 2008

Durham Tornado pictures



I almost forgot - cell phone pictures of the August 27 Durham Tornado are up. Take a gander if you want. The rotation of the clouds and the impressions of said rotation upon lowly human witnesses cannot be communicated through still pictures. Sadly, no video of this event exists as I neglected to take my video camera to work even though I knew the chances of severe weather were very high. Be prepared. I was not. Worst yet I did not report this even to NC Skywarn. I'm still new to the HAM radio thing and was not sure of the proper reporting protocols. I should have just pressed the key and told Skywarn what I was seeing. Next time this happens I'll remember to bring my camera AND my confidence.

2 comments:

Tanner Lovelace said...

Actually, to me it looks more like simply rotation aloft rather than a tornado (which, by definition is on the ground). From what I saw on the WRAL RADAR at the time it was hit or miss if it actually was a tornado. :-(

Still rather scary though! J&B were at the NC Museum of Life & Science and they brought everyone in the museum into an interior room for a while to let it pass by.

Tanner Lovelace said...

Oh, btw, in case you didn't realize, all the posts on Planet TriLUG (including yours) are now being announced by Tribot on the #trilug irc channel. They're also being gatewayed to twitter in the @planettrilug account. So, in case you were wondering why people start responding quickly. :-)