Monday, September 15, 2008

I didn't get nearly anything accomplished this weekend

Oh well. My current version of M0n0wall appears to not support IPv6 6to4. That stinks. There's also a major bug in this version that makes the page which you use to update the firmware *UNRENDERABLE* to your browser! Real good! It's not a big deal, really, I can just take out the flash drive and install from a freshly formatted flash drive (or reformat the existing drive). Not a big deal, just annoying.

But I wonder, why not just go to something that supports IPv6 out of the box? I just may do that. The only device that I have lying around that would support such a thing is my Time Capsule that I currently have configured as a standard, layer 2 access point. Obviously I'd have to reconfigure that device (no big deal) but I am concerned having the device I depend on for my backups exposed on the WAN port to the Internet at large.

I could, however, use my 2.4 Ghz Airport Express as the gateway, but it's quite a stretch to call the device "high powered" in terms of processing capabilities. I might give it a shot but this brings up a potential problem that the single Ethernet port would then be occupied by the Internet link thus everything that connects to the Internet would have to traverse a 2.4 802.11g link. Not ideal. Not ideal at all.

So, what's a techie to do?

No comments: