Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Does anyone speak Japanese?

I'd love to read the translation of this video. Some background: Japan's Mount Mihara is an active volcano where (this is hard to believe) people have, in the past and in great numbers, committed suicide by jumping into running lava through "skylights" in lava tubes. In fact, in one particularly bad year, over 600 took the final plunge at this volcano.

Let's focus on 1986. Mt. Mihara erupted with furious anger and news crews did as they do and rushed to the area to get video of the eruption. What I imagine they did not suspect to film was a human (man?) walking across the ejected pyroclastic lapilli towards a burned-out building exceptionally close to the edge of the massive eruption.

What became of this person is a mystery, at least I think that is the case because I can't translate Japanese. After the eruption a news crew visited the building where the mystery man was last seen either entering or walking in front of. What they found was unclear to me; I did not see a toasted person, just what appeared to be a heavily damaged building. Regardless what happened to this person I find the whole thing creepy.

Paging ex-Ocularer Seth. What is being said in this video? And while I have you here, how the heck are you? Long time, no hear. Drop me a line sometime.

No comments: