Sunday, March 22, 2009

We're going live in three, two...

Today was a F-U-N day. Friend and co-worker Heath Roberts asked (a while back) if I'd be interested in filling the role of volunteer camera operator during a UNC TV (public tv) fund raising show featuring celebrity chef Rick Bayless. Given my interest in film, tv and general video production I jumped at the chance.



Am I glad I did!! I was camera operator for Camera #3 and my duties were limited this being the first time I've ever operated a production video camera. The director commented that I did a good job for a newbie and I was proud of that. He even cut to my camera several times when it was not already scripted to do so. I felt good about that. I hate, even as a newbie at anything, to be a 5th wheel dragging down the quality work of everyone else.

In all we had four cameras and four operators: two professional cameramen, Heath (5 time volunteer) and myself (n00b).

Would I do this again? You bet. When? Not sure. The cameras used these days, including the ones we shot "manual" today, are all robotic and remotely controllable. Only when a director prefers to use camera operators is the work called for, and I think that particular call might be sent out fewer and fewer times going forward. In addition there was an ENORMOUS gap in skills between the professional operators, Heath then I in descending order of usefulness. Camera #2 and the boom camera (#4) were both professionally operated and, wow, these guys had their stuff down, big time. Heath did a great job too and maybe someday I'll graduate to his level but it's going to take a bit of time.

But this was all kinds of fun and I'm going to do add "UNC TV Volunteer Camera Operator" to my list of things I like to volunteer for (also including working at the Durham Food Bank). And that reminds me, it's been a long while since I've been to the food bank. Perhaps it's time, and likely well past time.

For more photos of the show today please see my Picasa album or if we're friends on Facebook you can view the pictures there as well.

No comments: