Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Radio I Want

I'll amend my previous iterations of my dream HAM radio to now including the following:

1) low power embedded device with two, perhaps three RP-TNC connector for the radio and good old Ethernet for configuration and control. Device capable of running in harsh (i.e. hot, like in my attic) conditions to keep cable lengths to a minimum. More likely this device would be on my desk in the bonus room but why not build it to withstand some punishment? Why the multiple connectors? I'd have to have multiple antennas, yeah, but I'd like to have 2 meter/70 cm on one chip then one independant 2 m and 70 cm chip for spectrum analysis. This may be possible all on one chip, I don't really know.

2) control of the radio via two methods:
a) software application running on a Mac controls the functions of the embedded radio. Control is via Ethernet but we'll throw in 802.11n for those times when you want to move the rig outside and do a bit of outdoor hamming. Yes, using the public space is likely to raise some hackles with other fellow HAMs. If this becomes a problem just make sure you pack a long Ethernet cable.
b) software application running on the iPhone. Yeah, the iPhone. Why? Why not? A handset could be devised that would allow for PTT and the iPhone has everything already built in: 802.11, bluetooth (I don't really see a reason to use it) plus it has that fantastic touch screen interface. Click a band, roll around using a virtual wheel and tune in.

I'm sure it wouldn't work as well as why I'm invisioning in my head but it sure sounds neat. I have no way of building this as I've got a "perfect storm" of extremely limited programming skills and exactly zero electronics engineering education. Time is short too so that makes picking up these skills in a reasonable amount of time close to impossibe. Oh well. Still, if I could "reboot my 20s" I think I would have majored in something useful like electronics engineering. But I didn't. Maybe I'll go back to school when I retire. Perhaps I'll start taking classes now (that's actually the plan - I'm investigating serveral programs at local colleges). When I get things moving again I'll let everyone know.

73s.

No comments: