Monday, March 16, 2009

Goodbye to the Tucson Citizen

The Tucson Citizen, the afternoon paper in The Valley of the Sun, will close up shop for good March the 21st assuming a buyer is not located by that date. (are they ever?) I hate to see the paper go after 138 years of continuous operation. For a three year window of that paper's history I delivered the afternoon papers aboard my 20 inch Hutch BMX bike (later I would switch to a 24" GT, but I still was single-gear only).

What I'll remember most about delivering the paper is how when the only road in and out of my side of town was closed due to flooding The Citizen hired a helicopter to deliver my stacks of papers to a strip mall a few miles away. That was dedication you don't normally see and my subscribers were quite shocked to see me out delivering the papers that day.

Sundays were a special time as a delivery boy. The weight of the shoulder bag could at least quadruple on Sundays making the trip somewhat uncomfortable but the scenery in pre-dawn Tucson was spectacular. Many coyotes and jalavinas would be out and about where they would normally be hunkered down hiding from the afternoon sun. Good times.

No comments: