Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Morning vs. afternoon workouts

Morning workouts are the only way to go, for me at least. If I get up early and get on the bike I feel more awake, mentally dexterous and in general more friendly than I do if I sleep in with the *intention* of working out in the afternoon. In short, it's a win for everyone!

Try as I am to workout in the afternoon/evenings when I get home there is always "something else" to do: clean the house, dinner, work that comes home with me, play with the dogs, the list goes on and on. I still manage to do my evening workout, most days that is, but I find that I tend to ear a larger dinner following my workout than I would had I exercised that morning.

In addition, if I get my morning bike ride completed I can always do a second "light" workout with weights, which is really want I want to do anyway. I've give up on the heavy weights for the year; my 350 pound bench press "past 30 record" will have to wait, and likely stand. I really wanted to bench 405 once more in my life but I'll have to do that past 40, I think. Right now I need to use low weights (145 on the bar) and work on high reps (multiple sets of 10). I'm trying to tone up, not bulk up.

What of the exercise and diet, is it doing anything? I think so. I refuse to step on the scale, at least until my next visit to the doctor. Why? I don't want to get discouraged. In the past I've noticed it takes me longer than most to get the weight loss thing really moving. Sure, I can drop a pound or two, three even ten but I plateau *really* quickly and it takes a lot of determination to keep me going in the right direction. So no scales. I'm going off how my clothes feel, crap like that until I know things are going the way I want.

In closing, for those who like bikes but hate exercise bikes, or haven't found one you like, I highly recommend the Schwinn Airdyne. You can find them on Craigslist used fairly often for much less than the new price and I just can't say enough positive things about this bike. I like the mechanical simplicity, upright ride, and the resistance which is not belt and friction based but based off air resistance depending on how "hard" you are riding (and working your arms). I had previously owned a massive, room-dominating computerized recumbant bike and I find the Schwinn superior for cadiovascular/aerobic workouts. Your mileage may vary.

That is all. Good morning.

No comments: