Saturday, January 31, 2009

Time Capsule is driving me CRAZY

This is driving me crazy. The Apple Time Capsule is home router with a nice, fat SATA drive built-in that allows Mac users to backup data to the device (among other uses). You don't have to use the Time Capsule as a route, in fact I do not. My Time Capsule lives behind my home firewall and is configured as an access point, a layer 2 device not a layer 3 device (router). The Time Capsule still backs the Mac data up and having had to restore a laptop completely from scratch I can say the device works as-advertised and does a good job.

What irks me is this device, out of the box, when configured as a router supports IPv6, IPv6 6to4, and participates well in networks that use IPv6 Stateless Autoconfiguration. Why, then, when the Time Capsule is configured as an access point, does the Time Capsule itself not support IPv6 Stateless Autoconfiguration? What does it matter?

I have three IPv6 networks and that total is growing fast. I want to be able to backup my Mac to the Time Capsule from any of these three networks and I don't want to use a VPN to make it all work**. All IPv6 devices on my LANs are able to communicate with one another via TCP and UDP. I should be able to simply point my laptop to the IPv6 address on the Time Capsule. But I can't. This irritates me to no end.

Apple, please fix this. Also please add IPv6 connectivity to the iPhone and iPod Touch while you're at it. But take care of the Time Capsule thing first, ok? PLEASE?

** - I might be able to do some port forwarding trickery but I'd prefer to make it work via IPv6. It would be so much "cleaner".

No comments: