Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Mac mini rumors are kind of cool

If the rumors are true the new Mac mini will have a black top (to bring it in line with current Apple color codes), a "lip" much like the Time Capsule has, and a SATA optical drive that can be deleted and replaced with a second internal hard drive supporting RAID 1. That's kind of cool. If you need to install software or back data up to an optical disk you'll have to connect one via USB 2.0 or use Apple's Remote Disk from another Mac much the same way you would with the Macbook Air.

The so-called lid lip will hide the optical drive slot so it won't be obvious if the drive has been deleted or not. Kind of cool. I guess.

I need to replace my aging yet still running splendidly 1.5 Ghz G4 mini. A mini sporting internal RAID 1 would be a compelling replacement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The single biggest problem that I have with the Mac Mini is disk performance. I'd really love to see Apple push to replace the cruddy hard disk with a solid state disk. Even if the capacity is low, as long as the performance was good, I could actually be tempted into buying a second Mini.