Monday, January 5, 2009

Movies!!

It was a big movie weekend at the old Brown household. Let me start by giving a mini-review of a movie we actually watched in a theater.



Kelly has been wanting to see Four Christmases for a while now so we decided to head out to the Saturday matinee. The movie itself centers around Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon, a married, childless couple who want nothing more over the Christmas holidays than to escape the families (you can't spell 'families' without 'lies') over the holidays by jetting off to exotic locations for scuba diving and relaxation. Just to keep everyone from getting too upset about their absence they tell the families they are helping third world children, building schools, voluteering at clinics, that sort of thing.

I don't want to spoil the movie for you (everything I've said so far can be learned from watching the trailer) but I did want to share some interesting thoughts. This movie contained a fairly large well-known cast. In addition to the aforementioned main actors other Hollywood notables were featured including Robert DuVall, Sissy Spacek, Jon Voight and Kristin Chenoweth appeared as well as country musicians Dwight Yoakam (who I recogizned from Slingblade) and Tim McGraw who I couldn't have picked out of a police line-up (mostly because I don't list to country music).

Two very interested castings came in the form of Jon Favreau (director of Elf and Iron Man) as Vince Vaughn's extreme fighting brother (Jon hit the gym for this role and sported what I think are a lot of fake tattoos). The real bizarre person to make an appearance was number two worldwide ranked Donkey Kong player and star of King of Kong Steve Wiebe. Granted Steve didn't get any lines but it was strange for who I think is a non-union non-actor to be given a role in a union Hollywood movie. As it turns out the movie director, Seth Gordon, also directed King of Kong so the two had worked together perviously.

Overall I'd give this movie a 2 and-a-half out of five stars. Middle of the road picture. Well made but predictable in places, not to mention fraught with a few major continuity problems. If you are dying to see a movie, yeah, go ahead and catch it while you still can but if you, like me, are a fan of Christmas movies I'd wait until it rolled around via Netflix.

Next up: my new Blu-Ray player!!

I have joined the Bill Vinson's of the world and gone Blu-Ray. We also purchased a new 47 inch Sony Bravia HD TV but that's not the story here. The wickedly cool Blu-Ray player comes with built-in Netflix streaming capabilties! Very cool. We tested the Netflix streaming out and it works splendidly. What about the Roku player? The Roku player is heading for a life at the beach.

Work calls. Bye.

No comments: