Thursday, May 28, 2009

Haven't been writing

First and foremost I'm interested to learn Apple may (*MAY*) be brining a data center to the area, or somewhere in North Carolina. Personally I hope they host their IPv6 apps from here but that's just me, and probably only me. Regardless I'm sure the data center will be managed by Apple employees and day-to-day operations and what-not outsourced to ACS or someone else. Johnson Controls will probably manage the building and grounds. Still it is interesting and it would be nice to see Apple's footprint increase beyond the local Apple Stores, remote sales staff, etc.

I haven't been writing much, mostly because I haven't felt like it. This whole thing has been a larger kick in the gut than I anticipated. In short, it sucks. From what I understand it gets better with time and that's welcome news, let me tell you! I don't want to be so down, after all, it could be sooooooo much worse.

My main focus now is to make sure my employer knows my value. If I were to lose my job right now? Oh dear, that would not be good at all. So I'm working a lot and that helps to keep my mind occupied plus I'm volunteering for extra projects outside of my normal area of expertise. This forces me to learn something new and meet new people in the process, both pluses.

I'm finding Durham to be a fine little town through this adventure in fact a great little place to live and work. Years ago I was afraid of Durham and that is just so unnecessary. Sure, the city has some problems but not many. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. My area of town is spot-on wonderful. I have not yet made as much use of the new Durham Bulls stadium as I would have thought but these lonely, boring weekends will be much less so I hope, partly due to the fact that I intend to attend and *follow* the Bulls. Heck, they are right next door, I feel getting to know them should be as natural as getting to know any new neighbor.

With that I think I'll try to set up my HAM radio once again. So far I've not received *ONE SIGNAL TRANSMISSION* in my apartment building. Could I be living in a giant faraday cage? Time will tell (and I hope not). I'm going to see if I can get on ARES/RACES net tonight at night. But first, to reorganize the desk!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should come out to Connolly's Irish Pub this Saturday and see my band play! It'll be fun!

Parlez à la Main said...

You know, I just might do that! I'd better see the band that is destined to record the soundtrack for my documentary I'm going to shoot next year. :)