Thursday, May 21, 2009

Please, a moment of silence

It appears my Apple TV passed away sometime last night or today. The Apple TV worked tirelessly traveling thousands of miles between Youngsville and Rodanthe for several years. Perhaps a future stuck in Durham for the next year or more was too much for the old man to take and he simply gave up the digital ghost.

I can't say this was good timing, though, as I'll probably not be able to get another Apple TV for some time to come. I have many, many DVDs encoded for Apple TV that formerly resided on said appliance and I don't think they will play full-screen on a television attached mini hence I'm kind of at a crossroads.. do I go with the TV attached mini or an Apple TV. The Apple TV had a couple of cool features such as being able to use the unit as a remote speaker set for iTunes computers on the same LAN. It doesn't sound like much and you can do the same with a set of speakers and an Apple Airport Express but that's just one more thing on top of all the other things to find a home for.

Not that it matters, it will be a couple months before I get adjusted well enough to my new financial situtation to feel comfortable dropping hundredes of dollars on any new gizmo. Still, I've had the feeling for a long time that Apple was going to let this one die on the vine much like the Apple Hi-Fi that I loved so much.

If I could fix the Apple TV I probably would. I had been thinking the disk was going to die as the movies played "stuttered" quite a bit but now it won't even power up. That's obviously bad, especially with a unit that has an internal power brick. If put plug the unit in it won't boot and the power light on the front will not illuminate. So I think it's good and dead. Surgery coming soon (this weekend?) will confirm the status.

Goodnight, Apple TV. We had some great times together.

No comments: