Saturday, May 9, 2009

New home, take two



Before my new apartment building was a home it was a tobacco factory dating back to the mid 1800s. As you may imagine it hasn't always looked the same over that period of time but this abomination must be considered the absolute low point. Nasty! It should be noted that "my" section of the building can be seen peeking up behind the metal nastiness (behind the billboard). That's my section but I'm on the 2nd floor so you can't see any of windows or anything.

Endangered Durham has a great, well researched article on The Bull Building as well as the American Tobacco complex. Give it a read, if you're into that sort of thing.

3 comments:

Tanner Lovelace said...

I remember that picture! UGLY!

BTW, any idea what the big "1" on the corner of the Fowler building (down by Mellow Mushroom) is? I noticed in this shot that it wasn't there as of March 2008 - http://www.endangereddurham.org/Photos/AT_Fowler_NW_031208.jpg

My son asked me about it one day as we were going to school and I have no idea.

Parlez à la Main said...

Ah, that is for Square 1 Bank. They are located on the 3rd floor of Fowler and a bit of the second floor of Crowe.

Tanner Lovelace said...

Doh! Well, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the info!