Tuesday, February 3, 2009

640k of ram should be enough for anybody

This quote, widely credited to Bill Gates (but denied by the same), really got me thinking today. "Back in the day", say, oh, around the early 1990's, before Windows and OS/2 really hit the mainstream, my rather large desktop computer had around half a meg of ram if I recall. I remember vividly the day I broke a meg and later four then an unheard of 64 megs of RAM. Around 1995 I watched Burton Floyd install a gig of ram on a card the size of a spiral notebook into a Silicon Graphics server the size of a dishwasher. I was amazed that a server could fit that much ram inside!

Now I'm sitting here with my new laptop running a cool 4 gigs of RAM. Goodness, how time does fly and Moore's Law keep chugging away. I haven't yet touched the 4 gig limit, but then again I don't yet have Final Cut Pro loaded so given enough time I'm sure something on my system will eventually page out or swap due to low memory.

Still, 4 gigs of RAM in a notebook (with an additional 256 megs of video RAM). Who would have thought such a thing just a few years ago?

2 comments:

Tanner Lovelace said...

Not only that, but the current hard drive in my MacBook is 500GB. Who would have ever thought a laptop would have a half terrabyte of storage in it!

I'm wondering now when we'll see terrabyte and raid in laptops....

Parlez à la Main said...

Yeah, I believe we will; it's really just a matter of time and demand, I think. Amazing, isn't it? It makes you wonder what is in all that stored content in the world!