Thursday, February 19, 2009

The IPv6 quest continues. Chapt. 4. Proxy Servers

I made a quick change this morning to my Squid (Squidman actually) running on my old G4 Mac mini in an attempt to make squid listen to the IPv6 loopback on port 8080. I have Squid(man) configured as a reverse ssh proxy that I sometimes use for remote administration tasks on my home LAN while afar.

Straight-up Squid is IPv6 aware starting with version 3.1. Squidman may or may not be IPv6 aware as I have no earthly idea if it or not. I'm still using the G4 mini that refuses to die otherwise I'd just run a Linux virtual machine and install my favorite distribution**. To complicate the matter further Peter Bieringer pointed out on one of his "IPv6 and Linux" webpages I may have incorrectly formatted my loopback ACL. I will reproduce Peter's ACL suggestions below but all credit goes to Mr. Bieringer for them. When I get home tonight I'll attempt to reconfigure Squid to see if I can make it listen on the IPv6 loopback, that is after verifying that Squidman is IPv6 capable in the first place. I think in the case of a reverse ssh proxy I only need to update the loopback ACL. We'll find out shortly, together.

  • Binding of addresses
    • udp_outgoing_address ::
      udp_incoming_address ::
      tcp_outgoing_address ::
  • ACLs
    • acl localhost src ::ffff:127.0.0.1 ::1
      acl to_localhost dst ::ffff:127.0.0.1 ::1
      acl all src ::/0
      acl sitelocalsrc src fec0::/48
      acl linklocalsrc src fe80::/64
      acl globaldst dst 3ffe::/16 2000::/3
      acl ipv4src src ::ffff:0:0/96
      acl ipv4dst dst ::ffff:0:0/96
  • Disable WCCP
    • wccp_router ::


**Yes I could, and probably should, just run Fink and be done with it. I'll admit ignorance regarding Fink's support for the G4 architecture now and going foward. Once the G4 dies, or I have the extra funds to replace it outright, I'll probably just go the virtual machine route.

No comments: