Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What's needed..



Lynch (Documentary)

The aptly titled "Lynch" is a Netflix streaming documentary that follows David Lynch during the filming of his then latest movie Inland Empire. Before I go much further I'll have to admit I did not watch the full film. The new LG Blu-Ray/Netflix box is still a bit unfamiliar and I managed to hit the wrong remote button ceasing display of the movie and taking me back to the "root menu" of the device. Whoops. Work was heating up right around then so I dropped the idea of a background movie and knuckled under to take care of business.

What I did see thus far was even more strange than I would have expected. David Lynch has an, well, unusual mind and it comes across in his very unusual films (Eraserhead, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart among others). Still I wasn't quite prepared for David Lynch the unfiltered man behind the lens. Random shots of him walking proclaiming to an unseen person "Watch that man! Watch that man! Watch that man!" were strange enough but the thing that struck me was, while on-set talking to his production crew he matter-of-factly stated "I want a fifteen year-old girl, an *ATTRACTIVE* fifteen year-old girl, a one-legged Asian woman and a monkey. Make it a spider monkey." The hilarious thing was nobody batted an eye! It was as if this was the most normal request that he could have made that particular day.

David Lynch must be an absolute trip to work with. If I could afford to I'd take time off from work and weasel my way into one of his sets as a production assistant and I don't care who I'd have to buy off to make it happen.

No comments: