Sunday, February 8, 2009

A minor IPv6 annoyance

It appears that M0n0wall, my most beloved firewall platform, does not like to run IPv6 only on LAN interfaces. I tried to set my secondary LAN interface to use IPv6 (via 6to4) and it balked when I tried to save the configuration sans a IPv4 address on the same interface.

Shoot. I could always block the IPv4 traffic using the firewall itself and I'll probably do that but it's rather annoying and I wish it would just allow for IPv6 only. Perhaps I managed to bungle the configuration steps in some way, that's always a possibility with me! I'll check it out later and see what I come up with.

Why would I want to run IPv6 only? I want to bite the bullet and see what I can really accomplish with IPv6 only. For instance Google has good IPv6 connectivity to the search engine using http://ipv6.google.com but what about mail, maps and everything else? What about Facebook, Twitter and Fark for that matter?

IPv6 is on the way, people. Sticking out collective heads in the sand and pining for the days of "endless" IPv4 addresses is behind us.

I'm also toying with the idea of IPv6 hosting (from a network with 100/100 bandwidth). Each host or cluster on the network would receive a /64 IPv6 network to do with as they choose and would have full access to the 100/100 bandwidth (until congestion starts to hit the wire at which time it would drop to a guarantee of 10/10 with burst rates to 100. That is unless you just want to have a dedicated 100/100 in which case that would obviously cost quite a bit more.

First, though, I have to do some testing around here and see what IPv6 only is really useful for. I suppose I could allow IPv4 and IPv6 addressing on the same box but in that case it would cost extra too as the ISP isn't just handing out IPv4 addresses like it was the early 90's.

Time to find a problem to match this solution. Remote backups? Yeah, I suppose that could be one use. Mac Mini hosting? Yeah, I could do that. At least the minis don't draw power like the 1U Apple servers! Linux, BSD and Windows? All are welcome, go into the light.

1 comment:

trejrco said...

It is great to see people (finally) starting to try out IPv6 in the real world (not just in the "ivory towers") - keep it up!