Thursday, May 15, 2008

Charter vs. Time Warner vs. Cox

I've been talking about my cable modem service most of this week because I've been so frustrated with it. Fark linked to a story yesterday about Charter which lead to an interesting discussion about cable speeds. It appears that Cox Cable wins hands-down for provided very high speed downloads (their basic upload speeds could be improved). Having seem the discussions that cropped up yesterday I asked my parents if they could run a speed test on their basic cable connection provided by Cox. The results? 18 meg down, 512 k up. Yes, eighteen meg down.

That is a damn fine connection though, as I previously stated, the upload speeds could be improved. I'd like to see a 1 or 2 meg upload speed personally. Heck, if Cox provided that I'd move the family to Vegas.

What did Charter provide today? 4805 kbs down, 469 kbs up. That's close enough to the advertised 5 meg down, 512k up. Believe me, it can get a lot worse.

On that note I'm not longer going to shut off the cable modem and router (Airport Extreme). It seems like a crap shoot every time the "system" is rebooted hence I'll just leave it up and running with the hopes that when I arrive next time things will "just work". I'll keep you posted.

No comments: