Sunday, May 18, 2008

Watching a rented movie on the Apple TV was more difficult than it should have been

I wanted to rent The Simpsons Movie last night. I have an Apple TV. You'd think it would have been easy, but no, it wasn't. When I tried to rent the movie the Apple TV software threw up and quit because, get this, I had my TV connected to my Apple TV via a HDMI cable. I can hear you going "what?" in the background but I assure you it is the truth. I don't have HD component cables at the condo so I was out of luck there.

What not rent the movie to the laptop and then watch the movie via my "Shared Movies" on the Apple TV? That doesn't work either. I downloaded the rental to my laptop but the rentals will not show up via the Shared Movie selection on the Apple TV. Really.

Time to throw the hands up and give up? No way. How about synching the movie to an iPod? You can do that, but only if you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch as Wi-Fi is required to be active when the movie is watched (I presume so the iPod can communicate with Apple and let them know a movie has started or completed). Luckily we have an iPod Touch and I was able to place the movie on the TV via the Touch.

Doesn't this sound unreasonably complicated? Had I not had the $50 iPod to TV converter cable I would have been SOL. It just seems bizarre to me that Apple would have made such a big deal about rentals yet rentals won't work on the Apple TV if you use the HDMI connection. Bizarre.

No comments: