Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Natual (Male) Enhancement

It's a web "enhancement" courtesy of Charter Communications (my ISP on the Outer Banks).

"NYT Bits scribe Saul Hansell (SAI 100 #29) confirms an earlier report that Charter Communications, the No. 4 cable company, has started warning its cable modem subscribers that it will start tracking all of the Web sites they visit. Charter (CHTR) will sell the data to a firm called NebuAd, which will use subscribers' browsing history to target which ads they'll see. Charter will test the system in four markets within a month and will then decide whether or not to roll it out to its nearly 3 million Internet subscribers, Hansell reports." alleyinsider.com, may 2008.

Looks like time to use the reverse proxy at home while surfing the web at the beach. Granted they say Charter told us about this (I don't recall hearing about it) and they mailed a letter on how to opt out of the technology. I'll have to dig that up because I'll be opting out. I'll also be using my Squid-via-SSH proxy at home, just in case.

No comments: