Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm tried of gas prices too

So Mark was thinking about the good old days when one could honestly make a compliant about gas prices being "just under two dollars per gallon". Yeah, I remember those days too. Today, thankfully, I am working from home, but not because I wanted to save gas. I have two doctor appointments on this side of town and my boss was thoughtful enough to allow me this flexible work option. He's cool that way.

Am I going to drive the 14 in-city mpg Suburban? Hell no! I'm riding my 70-80 mpg scooter to the doctors office (and heck, if I crash or get run over I'm going in the direction of the hospital anyway). It should be fun. The weather is kind of cloudy but temperature-wise it looks pretty ideal. I'm going to have to get "suited up" for the ride; just because I'm on a scooter doesn't mean I can skimp on the "all the gear, all the time" rule, even if I don't own an Aerostitch riding suit. I'd ride my bike but I a) want to get there sometime today and b) the bike lives at the Outer Banks now as my "in-town" transportation.

So, please, if you see a fat man riding a scooter today, don't point and laugh. At least not well enough so I can see you doing so. Please give me some courtesy as a slower user of our roadways. I'll keep to the right and out of the way as best I am able. In fact when it comes time for my left hand turn into the medical facility I'll do you a favor and turn right, flip a U turn and wait for the light to go straight. Deal?

The gas crunch is affecting all of us and the longer I leave my Suburban sitting the better off we, not to mention the planet, all are.

No comments: