Friday, May 23, 2008

That was more fun than a barrel of monkies!

Riding the scoot was a blast today, not to mention an economical way to get around! I think we'll start seeing more and more scooters on the road, especially if Tanner is correct and gas does indeed reach the $6 to $7 per gallon level.

Part of riding a scooter is knowing you are going to be a slower member of the vast system of roadways (if you are riding a sub 250cc scoot, that is). As such it pays to exhibit some goodwill such as pulling over into a gas station to let a line of cars pass (safely). Most cars seemed ok with passing me to the left, even on two lane roads and most did a very safe job of it but twice today, while on two lane roads, a couple of drivers showed some restraint in passing so I took it upon myself to pull over into a gas station (and later the kayak "put-in" off Falls of Neuse).

Just before my final turn for home I realized that I was low on gas so I proceeded to Sheetz and filled up the nearly empty scoot for a grand total of $4.91. Not bad, considering I can go at least 70 miles on one gallon of regular.

Still I'd feel better with a slight larger, plated scooter (or small motorcycle). Somehow I think I'll end up with a larger scooter rather than a motorcycle; don't ask me why I feel this way, I just do, at least right now. I could be wrong, I'm still quite smitten with the Kawasaki Versys but I wonder how much Interstate riding I'll really be doing. What else is in the running? Perhaps a Suzuki Burgman 400, used primarily as a commuting, grocery go-getting kind of ride. My Chinese Rugged 150 is fun, don't get me wrong, but if I'm going to remain a scooter rider I want something with some underseat storage. I only got the Rugged 150 because Kelly had her 50cc Honda Ruckus and doesn't like to ride alone (there's a master plan at work here, people, but more on that later).

What about price? How does that factor into the purchase of a scooter or motorcycle? Surprisingly, somewhat, "big" scooters and motorcycles don't have a large delta in price. In fact a 650cc scooter can cost more than a motorcycle of the same displacement. So, then, the question is more than "scooter" vs "motorcycle". The real question is what machine better suits my needs? All I know is I'm broke right now, really cash-poor, so I've got plenty of time to think about this quandary. One day next week I will have to take a trip down to Zebulon (Highway 96 from Youngsville to Zebulon). This ride might well be too dicey on the scoot with everyone on Highway 96 at that hour of the morning. Sadly I'll probably take the Suburban. If I had a 250 cc or greater motorcycle or scooter I'd drive that, weather permitting.

Decisions. Your input is welcome.

3 comments:

cristobalpalmer said...

welcome to the club. :)

Parlez à la Main said...

Thanks!!!!

Unknown said...

Man, you should really jsut pick yourself up a USED motorcycle for cheap. Get a 750cc whatever, and you could ride anywhere. Check out cycle trader. Motorcycles don't hold their value, so grab a 2000 or something for 3K.