Saturday, May 17, 2008

Outer Banks Beach Closure Report

The way people down here talk you would think Judge Terrance Boyle had not only closed some of the beaches but also closed Highway 12 and told everyone to get the hell off the island. It's not quite that bad but the closures have had a measurable effect on local and vacationing populations alike.

Islandfreepress.org keeps a very detailed page about ongoing beach closure issues that make for a great resource for anyone interested in the issue regardless on which what "side" you happen to reside. The current beach closures just South of Salvo, NC have resulted in what amounts to a bunch of sandy cul-de-sacs where it is now impossible to drive on the beach from one access ramp to another. The result of the closure are very packed and congested areas along the beach where vacationers and locals are stacked cheek-to-jowl. Ok, I'll admit, it's not that bad, but I've never seen so much congestion this early in the season. Personally I think the result is going to be a lot of people, like me, just saying "forget it" and spending your time somewhere other than the beach.

As I have year-round access to the Outer Banks and I travel here through all four seasons this closure isn't the end of the world for me, only an annoyance. Today after abandoning our efforts to enjoy a spot on the beach that was "all ours" we cut over to the Pamlico Sound where we spent a very enjoyable couple of hours throwing the tennis ball into the water, have a beer or two (shhhhh! Don't tell anyone), and taking a few pictures. It was an enjoyable day despite our inability to find a tranquil spot on the beach for the first time in 12 years.

I'll give up my summer spot on the beach for the fishermen; fall, winter and spring are still mine. It's a fair trade, I think.

No comments: