Sunday, March 2, 2008

Dead Animals Seen This Weekend

Dolphin. See on the Outer Banks on the beach around ramp number 27. Damn thing stunk to high heavens too. He'd been dead for a while.

Black Bear. Seen on the side of Highway 64 between Mann's Harbor and East Lake.

White tailed deer. Franklin County. Seen on the side of Highway 96.

Turtle. Blended. On highway 64.

Opossum. Numerous, on the road in different counties.

Unknown. Filed under "Road Protein". Many.

Normally I talk about the wonderful wildlife seen alive in NC. We do have a wealth of biodiversity between the borders of this wonderful state. This weekend I didn't see anything remotely interesting. The six to seven foot alligator was not in his or her ditch; truth be told I haven't seen the gator in quite some time. Normally I see plenty of dolphin frolicking in the waters but I scored a goose egg spotting them his past weekend.

While on the beach proper I saw another cargo ship using the binoculars. Those damn ships are HUGE. No private planes buzzed the beach, that was also unusual and we normally see at least one Coast Guard plane or helicopter but they remained unseen as well.

Maybe I'll have better luck next trip.

No comments: