Wednesday, March 12, 2008

one hour with Kelly's iPod touch



Wow. This is THE MOST AMAZING iPod I've ever seen. I wish I had bought the darn thing for myself now. Grr. I'll just keep telling myself my last gen iPod nano is good enough (and it is). But, wow, what a great feature set on this little device!

First we unboxed the unit (duh) then marveled at how small and sleek it was. We then plugged it into Kelly's computer and synched the songs, photos, movies and TV shows. That took about one hour or so. Not bad. We played around with the settings, rotated movies and so forth, used coverflow, it was all very cool.

Then I set up the Wi-Fi connection. Oh my. The little gizmo came alive I tell you. ALIVE! Soon I had Safari surfing different sites, my stocks were updating over the web and I had gmail's IMAP interface working like a charm. How sweet this thing is! Then I watched Wynon'a Big Brown Beaver (calm down, it's a Primus song) over YouTube. Oh lord. I'm hooked! HOOKED I TELL YOU!

I love the "Internetconnectedness" of this thing. It's great! Now, my only question is do I wait for an iPhone of my own on a different carrier or do I get my own iPod touch. My aforementioned iPod nano is a fine little device and there is no real reason to cast it aside. Plus I think two $499.00 iPods is more than a bit over the top (thank you yearly bonus!). I probably will not get an iPod Touch of my own, but, damn, I want one.

Now, one gripe (so far, I'm sure there will be more). I could surf to FoodTV.com and look at a PDF recipe but I had no way to print said recipe even though my printer is Bonjour discoverable. That was a disappointing limitation. It would have also been nice to be able to save that same PDF to the internal drive then "grab" it using the Mac. I'm not sure if I can do that or not.

Oh, another gripe. I want a way to reset Safari just like you can on the Mac. I want to clear out all cookies, history, etc. In fact I'd like to have that setting be automatic each time the browser is closed. After only one hour with the iPod I could quickly see just how much personal information could be stolen if the unit were to be misplaced. Some kind of biometric "awakening", such as fingerprint recognition or even a simple four-eight digit unlock code, rather than just sliding the bar would be preferable as well. Perhaps some kind of lock is possible. I would hope so. I'll find out tonight.

1 comment:

Tanner Lovelace said...

*sigh* I'd really love to have one of those, but with several thousand dollars in car repairs and dental bills in the past few weeks that's not going to happen any time soon. :-(

Still, very cool!