Sunday, March 23, 2008

Time Capsule is finally working! More or less.

The setup was incredibly complicated and far from intuitive but despite the aforementioned design issues I was able to get my Time Capsule attached to my network as an Ethernet backup disk; a Time Machine server if you will.

Just when I thought I was heading towards a brick wall with a $500 doorstop under my arm I found the right "trick" to get this thing to work as intended. The only problem is I'm not 100% certain how I did it. Essentially I told the Time Capsule to "Replace an existing device on my network" and then I attached an network Ethernet port into the "WAN" port on the Time Capsule. After that I went back into the setup and after ditzing around and two reboots later the Setup Assistance said something like "it appears you are using double NAT, would you like to place Time Capsule into Bridge Mode?" THANK YOU! It's all I've been trying to get you to do for the last week. It even turns off the internal DHCP server, something you CAN'T do using the "Advanced" setup options. Go figure.

So fear not, Apple fans. This device will work as intended. Eventually. And if Apple continues to make setup this complicated I could have a second career as a Time Capsule Consultant. That is only 1/2 tongue in cheek. Patience is required in this case. In waves.

The only thing left for me to do is shut off the wireless, and I have, at least b/g/n. Time Capsule is, right now anyway, serving as a 802.11n wireless AP over 5 Ghz. Trouble is I don't have any 802.11n devices. Except my Apple TV. And that is already plugged in via Gig-E.

Over and out. I'm going to get a strong beer to celebrate (out of the garage fridge). On an unrelated note I saw another new species on the way back from the outer banks today: some kind of otter. And even better I managed to fill up the Chevrolet Valdez (Suburban) for $3.07/gallon where Highway 12 splits from Highway 64. You can't beat that. Sadly.

1 comment:

Tanner Lovelace said...

BTW, did you see that the latest Airport firmware update enabled Time Capsule backup to an attached USB disk?