Monday, March 10, 2008

Leopard Household

I finally upgraded the last Mac in the house to Leopard yesterday. The old 1.5 Ghz Mac mini took the upgrade rather well, though more slowly than the dual-core Intel Macbooks. A slowdown was to be expected and overall the process took about two hours. Upgrading the mini was a bit more complicated as I had a MySQL database on the primary disk as well as some shared applications. Oddly once the machine was upgraded the web server was turned off when it had been on prior to the upgrade. Weird. The fix was easy enough, just go into System Preferences -> Sharing and click the button for "Web Sharing". For the record every other service that had been used prior to the upgrade was still up and running, even Bonjour Printer Sharing worked without having to be tweaked.

After hearing about the problems people encountered "upgrading" to Vista I am left to wonder why these same people just don't switch to the Mac platform. Try performing an upgrade from XP to Vista on a machine as old as my mini then catalog everything that won't work under Vista that did under XP. All my USB and 1394 peripherals worked, did yours? Aside from my web server mysteriously decided to be "off" rather than "on" I had no problems. I'm willing to bet your XP to Vista upgrade was more challenging.

Work to restore Kelly's laptop continues. We were able to recover most of the purchased content from her video iPod including some, but not all, of the TV shows and The Royal Tenenbaums, her only movie. The playlists on her iPod are gone and cannot be recovered, as far as I can tell. Restoring iTunes was, by far, the most troublesome activity following Kelly's disk crash. The only reason it was troublesome was we did not have a good backup plan in place. Leopard and Time Machine fixes that and once the Time Capsule arrives I'll have the mini backed up as well. I only wish Time Machine had been a part of 10.4 but at least we a great backup solution in 10.5.

No comments: