Monday, March 31, 2008

Top o' the mornin' to you

Good morning everyone. I mentioned before that I was writing a short story around 2000 worlds called "The Reals". The story is finished and has been for a while. I've decided that it turned out "no so bad" and I'm going to submit it consideration for publication to a few coffee house rags. If it manages to make it to print I'll be shocked but you never know, and you can't win if you don't play.
I got to thinking about a couple other stories I started back in the day. Perhaps I should finish one? Story "A" is a Sci-Fi story of sorts with the working title of Kuiper Adrift. So far the story is about a manned exploration ship called the Kuiper that was sent into what was then deep space about 100 years before the time line of the story. The Kuiper disappeared without a trace but has since reappeared in orbit around Neptune. Past that I'm not sure what happens other than Colonel Whats-his-name is sent to investigate with a small group of Marines and scientists. If this all sounds too predictable, and it kind of does to me, please let me know before I waste any more time writing it.

Story "B" is somewhat different. A doctor from New England loses his family to divorce and his practice and license thanks to a disastrous mistake made in the ER that claimed the life of a small child. Distraught he moves around and finally settles in Western North Carolina outside of Murphy where he meets a former Army Medic who is the sole source of healthcare for a community of Mulengeons who are very distrustful of outsiders. Together they hatch a plan to amputate the lower leg of the community's most detested member so they may partake in the most forbidden of activities: cannibalism (the medic ate human flesh once before on a small island following service in Viet Nam and the doctor admits to sampling the forbidden menu once himself while in medical school).

Eh, they both sound kind of stupid. Maybe I'll try to write up something new.

No comments: