Friday, July 4, 2008

Frye? Frye? Frye?

Yesterday I took a trip to the apple store to drop off my head macbook. I shouldn't have been so harsh on Apple. True, they picked some faulty hardware as a component of their expensive laptops but I'm sure it's biting them on the rear end right now about.

One thing was absent from the store: the Macbook Air. There were, literally, none on display. And I looked, quite hard actually. Perhaps they are going to revision two of internal hardware? Maybe. Perhaps. Who knows. Let's hope they come up with a user-changeable battery (and I'd really like to see one more USB somewhere an 10/100/1000 dongleless Ethernet port - PLEASE!). To that thought why do we have to have the long, flat USB port on the side? Why can we have long/flat and one mini-B USB connector? I'm sure there's some kind of reason but what that reason is I do not know (though I would venture to guess the mini-B USB is low power, USB 1.0 only, or something along those lines).

One more thing: Apple dropped the price of the Macbook Air with the solid-state 64 gig drive by $500.00. At over $2500.00, and close to $3k with Apple Care, the laptop is still wildly expensive, but at the same time, very cool. Plus with a solid-state drive you remove the major vulnerability of the laptop lines: weak hard drives. Still, with a solid-state drive you can now have a laptop where the only moving parts are the hinged laptop lid and keys on the keyboard. That alone is a pretty compelling argument for ownership.

No comments: