Sunday, July 20, 2008

Saw me a gator!

Today I caught a glimpse of Alligator mississippiensis, also known as the American Alligator. Just like the last two gators this individual was viewed in the water-filled ditch along US Highway 64 between Manteo and the aptly named Alligator River. This gator was a small chap, clocking in around 4 feet in length. Gators in NC grow a lot slower than gators in Florida so I expect this little guy was somewhere around the five year mark, but I really don't know.

I wanted to turn around and snap a picture but we had the hammer down and we wanted to get home ASAP. Next time I see a gator I'll make sure to stop and get a photo or two.

Oddly I saw no turtles on the way home and normally you see so many yellow belly sliders that you lose count. No black bears were spotted either. Or red wolves. But I saw a gator!

No comments: