Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Short Stories of Earnest Hemingway

I'm reading The Short Stories of Earnest Hemingway and, I have to say, these are a violent collection of stories! So far people have died from a) bullet to the head b) knifed in the femoral artery c) bull goring d) gangrene (not to mention a possible hyena attack) and we have also had a bit of adultery, war, (other) dead bodies, dead babies, dead mules with their forelegs broken a presumed dead cat, plus a deflowering of a maiden and a suicide by slicing of one's own neck.

All this and I'm not even done reading the book! I'm not even half way through! I can only wonder what lies ahead. For some reason I thought the tone of the stories would be more towards the happy side.

To change gears slightly I'm also reading a collection of Stephen King's short stories and I finished The Mist and what a fantastic short story it was (though it was nearly long enough to be a novella). I can see why they optioned this story for a movie of the same name. I hope the movie held true to the book and I hope to see it one day on DVD or the Apple TV.

No comments: