Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Of motorcycles and manufacturers

Yesterday I signed up for my Motorcycle Safety Foundations Course through Durham Tech. Glass isn't for a while, they tend to fill up quickly and my class is going to eat an ENTIRE weekend but I'll suck it up and deal with it. Besides I'd like to drop a bit more weight before I get there as "the big guy", a title I'm still likely to carry at that time even if I dropped some major poundage.

What bike will I get? The Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 is the front runner at the moment though I'm likely end up with a used something-or-another come bonus time next year. Honestly, until my Chevy is paid off, I probably won't be riding a new motorcycle though there are several models I would love to swing a leg over each and every weekend.

3 comments:

Warren said...

Since I'm ignorant, I have to ask: what's the benefit of the class over just getting a permit, doing the test, and getting a license?

Parlez à la Main said...

No, Warren, that is an excellent question. The main benefit is reviewing proper safety technique through classroom instruction and practical riding. The classes provide motorcycles for riding, usually smaller 250-500 sized bikes. They teach you do ride slowly, turn slowly, all the stuff that is usually forgotten a decade out of the saddle. But the real benefit is upon completion of the course you have achieved the practical, or "road test", needed to obtain your motorcycle endorsement. Once the course is complete and you have your certification the next step is to go to the DMV and take the written test. If you pass the written then you are qualified for the motorcycle endorsement on your license. Essentially this will allow me to become licensed without first having to purchase a motorcycle (to use for the road test portion of the exam).

Warren said...

that's cool - I'll have to look into that class schedule myself

thanks for that data