Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My radio arrived last night!

Upon arrival home from work I found on my front porch a box from the far away land of Oklahoma. In the box was one Icom IC-T8A hand-held HAM radio. It's a cute radio, small in size and big on features. The box included everything down to the two belt clips, but was lacking the original documentation which the seller had informed me was long lost. Not to worry though, the seller was kind enough to download a copy from the web and print it out for me. What a cool guy!

So far I've programmed some local repeaters to use at home and work (this hobby will most likely dominate my lunch hours for the forseeable future). It seems my local Youngsville repeater is not very busy (145.11 Mhz) but the Rolesville repeater is (145.315 Mhz). Last night I was listening to the conversations on the radio and I was about to chat with a local HAM who was very close by my home when the battery on the hand-held gave out! The timing was perfect. The seller warned me this radion had not been used in quite some time so I the battery was probably discharged. I let it charge overnight and we'll see how long it lasts.

Will tonight be the charm? We'll see.

3 comments:

Tanner Lovelace said...

You might end up needing to get a new battery for the radio. I actually need to do that for my T-81A.

Parlez à la Main said...

Yeah, the more I use the radio the more I think a battery is in order. That and a 12 volt auto adapter. And a magnetic antenna mount. And an itty-bitty amplifier for the car. And a mount..

Does any HAM have just ONE radio? :)

Tanner Lovelace said...

Does any HAM have just ONE radio? :)

No.

Not even when I got my original Novice license did I really ever have just 1 radio. And now, I've lost count how many I have.