Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Time Machine/Capsule Workout

My laptop is restore, though not without a bit of drama. The good news is the backup and restore did work; my laptop is running along just as it was prior to the disk crash. In that sense the Time Capsule, and for that matter Time Machine itself, was worth the purchase cost (t. capsule) and cost of the upgrade (t. machine).

Now, the weirdness: my restore never really "finished", rather it just sat locked up on a restore screen for hours. So.... I did the unthinkable and rebooted the laptop while the screen was still locked up. It was a leap a faith to be sure, but it worked. After the next bootup my screen desktop, applications and everything else was restored! Sweet!!

The only bit of weirdness was my laptop decided to back itself up to the Time Capsule. Fully. As if it was the first time it had ever backed itself up, all 50+ gigs worth of data. So that ran for a while (a LONG while). Actually it wasn't that big of a deal, I just let the backup run all night.

The good news is I'm back in business!!! I didn't much care for being laptopless and I'm glad to have my Mac back.

No comments: