Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's starting to hit me like, um, a 2 ton heavy thing

My first amateur radio is going to be shipped this Saturday! I found a nice little Icom hand-held and the price was really good. Plus I sold my old weight distributing hitch today (thank you, Craigslist) so I had the cash.

So what did I purchase? I bought an Icom IC-T8A. It is now discontinued but very highly reviewed. It does tri-bands, 6 and 2 meter along with 70 cm, and will receive a bunch of other bands. The only thing it WON'T do is listen on two frequencies at once. I think I can live with his for a hand-held (my eventual mobile and base stations will be able to listen on two frequencies as a future requirement).

I'm excited! I can't wait for it to arrive which should be some time next week. The the "Wimp Watch" starts. Any best on how long it will take for me to actaully transmit? :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another Empire!

Tanner Lovelace said...

Very nice! I've got the T-81A that came right after the T8A (mine does the same 3 bands yours does, but also adds 1.2GHz/23cm). I believe the T91A is the current version.

I think you'll like that radio. Make sure you get a good antenna for it. If you want to use it in the car, you'll definitely need a good mobile antenna (and possibly a speaker-mike).

Bring it to one of the TriLUG meetings! (You'll need to actually come to one of the TriLUG meetings, I suppose... :-).